This Apprenticeship meets the needs of learners who work with children in a wide range of settings, for example in the roles of: Early Years Educator, Child-minder or Nursery Nurse. The Apprenticeship prepares learners to become Early Years Educators, enabling you to work with children from birth to 5 years and gain knowledge of children aged 5 to 7 years. You will develop and practise the skills required for employment and/or career progression in the Early Years sector.
Examples of Level 3 mandatory units include:
- Developing effective study skills
- Promote partnership working with parents
- Model, promote and support positive behaviour with children
- Principles of safeguarding policies and procedures in early years settings
- Promoting diversity, equality and inclusion in the early years sector
- Plan and implement activities, play opportunities and educational programmes in an early years setting
You will also complete assignments at Level 4, which include:
- Observation and assessment in the early years sector
- Theories which underpin practice in the early years sector
- Child development from conception to 7 years
You will be based with your employer four days per week and at College one day per week where you will learn from industry experienced tutors. You will also be assessed and supported in the workplace with a Preston’s College work based tutor.
Assessment will be through a range of methods including course work, oral questioning, a portfolio of evidence and practical demonstrations.
Successful completion of the Level 3 programme will provide direct entry to Higher Education. It will improve your employment opportunities with your current employer and within the industry. The qualification is relevant to careers including Early Years Care, Childcare, Children’s Services, Nursery Nurse and Family Support.
Duration: 18 Months
All Apprenticeships require an initial assessment, interview and employment in the industry. To work in this industry you will need a DBS (disclosure and barring service) check. In addition, you must also have a Level 2 qualification or equivalent experience in the industry and at least Level 1 in Maths, English and ICT.