Work placements give you experience and insight into the world of work, helping you think about your future and find a career that inspires you. The length of your work placement will be determined by your course choice, some courses require it as part of their accredited learning, while others are an additional opportunity. We will support you in finding a suitable placement yourself, by working with our local employers and industry links. There are lots of ways that work placements can help you. These include:
- Making a career choice: You’ll will develop an understanding of what a job or workplace is like, so you know if this is the right job for you.
- Developing new skills: Problem solving, time keeping, working as a team and using your own initiative are some of the skills an employer would be looking for.
- Teamwork: Working with others can help build your confidence, communication and leadership skills.
- Building a positive CV: Work experience shows that you are committed, enthusiastic and willing to roll your sleeves up. Work experience will stand out when applying to university or trying to get your first job. Work experience may result in a reference from an employer which would support any of your future applications.
Enrichment & Work Experience
Preston’s College is all about making you THE most Employable. With courses that link directly to university programmes or apprenticeships, there are lots of opportunities to design your own personal pathway. In addition to your main programme of study and work placement, you will have opportunities to have additional work experience. These could be on the form of:
- Guest speakers
- Employer set projects
- Skills workshops
- External Company demonstrations
- Industry visits
- Additional qualifications
- Course related trips
- College competitions
- External competitions