Pre-reg pharmcy technicians may be based in a community or hospital setting where roles may vary from interacting with patients to more clincial based activities. You will prepare, supply and dispense medicines and products prescribed for patients under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. There will be mandatory and optional units and the options you pick will be relevant to your own job. On successful completion of this apprenticeship you will be able to register with the General Pharmaceutical Council.
Examples of areas covered include:
- Providing an effective and responsive pharmacy service
- Ensuring your own actions reduce a risk to health & safety
- Receipt and assembly of prescriptions
- Processing Pharmaceutical queries
- Reflecting on and developing your practice
- Supporting the work of your team
- Receiving, storing and maintaining stock
If employed in a hospital setting you will also prepare aseptic products and carry out in-process checking.
Level 3 apprentices will be based with their employer four days a week and receive knowledge based training in College one day per week.
You will be assessed in one or more of the following ways:
- Expert witness testimonies
- Professional discussion
- ePortfolio of evidence
- Written & online assignments
- Examination (Pharmacy Science)
Once you have completed the Level 3 Apprenticeship you will be have the necessary skills and qualifications required for working within the industry and be able to register with the General Pharmaceutical Council. Theer are also opportunities to study a Level 4 Professional Diploma in Dispensing Accuracy Checking.
Duration: 24 months
All Apprenticeships require an initial assessment, interview and employment in the industry. At Level 3 you will need a grade 4 (C) or above including Maths, English and Science.