T-Levels are a pioneering new courses which are co-created with leading employers and aim to ensure young people across the country have access to a variety of programmes that successfully develop them into the skilled workforce of the future.
T-Levels focus on technical skills and are equivalent to three A-Levels. Gaining a T-Level can help learners with progression onto higher study, Apprenticeships or into skilled employment.
You will spend 80% of the academic year undertaking technical learning, gaining the skills and knowledge employers require. The other 20% is spent at an industry placement with one of our local employers, where you can put your skills into action in a real working environment.
Gain real work experience as part of a T-Level course. Every T-Level consists of a minimum of 45 days (315 hours) industry placement within a local business related to your chosen course subject. This placement gives you the opportunity to learn what a career in the industry is like, whilst continuing your studies.
At Preston’s College we have strong links with employers, see some of our work experience case studies below to see how our students have benefitted.
Much like A-Levels and University degrees – once you pass your T-Level, you will receive a nationally recognised certificate with the overall grade you achieved (pass, merit, distinction or distinction*). These certificates will also provide information on what you’ve learned during your T-Level, helping you improve your opportunities within skilled employment or higher education.
Your T-Level will be worth UCAS points. A T-Level at grade Distinction* is worth the same as three A-Levels at A* and will be recognised by universities and other providers, meaning you have the option to continue your studies after college.
“The placement has helped me gain knowledge of how distribution, communication and teamwork is important within a work place.”
Employer: “Muadh was outstanding, working as part of the team, good communication and used own initiative and grew in confidence during the placement.”
“I loved all the tasks given, especially taking place and teaching the classes and helping the students with their work!”
Employer: “Dayana was a brilliant work experience student. The academy enjoyed having her in, and hope she gained some suitable experience from the placement.”
Work experience at Fulwood Academy
“I enjoyed working with other members of staff, denailing wood, serving customers and going out on collections with other members of the team. I enjoyed working on projects and my communication skills have improved.”
Employer: “Very impressive performer. A valuable member of the team. Completed several building tasks on his own. Attends The Woodhouse as often as possible, including the Christmas Break!”
Project Supervisor, Integrate
“I worked on the design of a 4 bedroom house with plans and elevation, using Sketchup to put it into 3D. I was able to improve and develop previous work from the employer’s feedback and I now understand size and measurement more realistically.”
Employer: “Polite and very keen student. Understanding of space requirements in building and will come with time and experience”. Fletcher Smith Architects
“We spoke to lots of different individuals within the organisation in order to expand our knowledge of Network Rail. Midweek we visited Blackpool North and Kirkham railway stations to see the completed ‘phase 2’ works and enhancements, which was really interesting. The placement has really improved my confidence.”
Employer: “Thomas was proactive and undertook tasks with enthusiasm, was keen and his presentation skills were good”. Project Manager, Network Rail
“We were assigned some problem solving work presentations, group work and site related activities. I learned that teamwork is essential in the industry and opened my eyes to the many different roles available in construction.”
Employer: “Choice was articulate and grew in confidence over the week. The knowledge gained so far on her course was reflected in the questions asked during the week, she showed an understanding of engineering principles and worked well with the others”. Project Manager, Network Rail
“I enjoyed my placement, making pavements and resin and worked well under pressure. The placement has made me less nervous about going into a job.”
Employer: “Stanley has interacted well with the lab technicians and seems to understand the testing we do. It’s been great having him with us!” Becky Grundy, SHEQ Manager, PTS
“I was based at Preston Bus and I enjoyed being on site and hands on. The site engineering was interesting and enjoyable.”
Employer: “Zake fit in well with the team, was keen to learn and enthusiastic”. Nicki Sorton, Engie