Maths and English skills are an important part of everyday and work life and employers are looking for people with these skills. In fact, most employers expect candidates to have GCSEs in Maths and English at grade C (4) or above! If you don’t achieve a Grade 4 in Maths or English at School, these will be built into your study programme alongside your selected course.
Your tutors will support you throughout and teach you how to apply what you learn into the workplace from planning your time effectively through to being able to talk to colleagues and customers using appropriate language and behaviour.
Top five English skills for work are:
- Complete personal details and information
- Complete time-sheets and work related documentation
- Write letters, emails, telephone messages, orders, receipts and invoices
- Talk to colleagues and customers using appropriate and polite language
- Read and understand technical information
“Half of employers bin job applications with spelling and grammatical errors.”
The top five Maths skills at work are:
- Plan time effectively
- Write down number sequences accurately
- Make calculations and understand the importance of accuracy
- Use estimating skills for supplies
- Make money calculations for sales and profits
“People with poor Maths skills are more than twice as likely to be unemployed than those with good Maths skills.”